Wednesday, July 27, 2011

People Watching

So Earlier this year someone introduced me into this game called people watching. It is a lot of fun. I'm sure all of you already know what it is like because I'm a loser and learn these things long after they lose their novelty, But anyways, today's entry comes from my observations from people watching.
However, in doing this I feel the need to put down a disclaimer beforehand. I am in no way trying to jab at anyone, and i sincerely hope that no one will find themselves offended by this post. It is true, I love you all.

The beautiful thing about people watching is there is so many different things that you can notice. For the sake of time, I will discuss two types of people I have seen lately.

I have a friend who will not be named, who is what I would call an "event chaser." This person perfectly illustrates the first type mentioned. It has happened twice in the last three weeks, and has happened many other times previously, and I'm sure it will happen many more times in the future. What has happened, is an invitation to some "event." Most likely this will come in a mass text sent to who knows how many people. They send this text stating what is going on, and when, and that YOU should come! however what happens when they get a text back with a negative RSVP? They don't even bother texting back again. You see, it seems to me that these "event chasers" really don't care one bit who comes to their event, they just want everyone to know that this event is taking place, and that they will be there.

These are the same people that when engaging in a conversation they are quick to ask, "done anything fun lately?" Clearly they don't care much about you. Its almost like its just a competition to see who can do the best things. Just to add to that, If you do something totally awesome, like for example a rockin' trip to California with your family, (and you let them know), they will usually just go quiet. Beaten, ashamed, and maybe even embarrassed, they will not talk to you until some "event" comes up again.

Now the other type of people worth blogging about are the "people chasers." I have a whole group of friends that hang out ALL THE TIME. But what do they do? most of the time.... nothing. That's right event chasers, I said they do nothing. The funny thing is, they are completely content with doing nothing. Why is that? Because all they care about is being with other people. They could get together, not do a single thing, and yet be happy as a clown because they are with the people they love and care about.

Conversations with these kind of people are a lot more personable. If they must decline an invitation they will not be dropped like a rock, but they will be treated as individuals. Each of these people will live their lives how they feel it needs to be lived, but ultimately, the greatest satisfaction will come with other people, no matter what they are doing.

These are just a few thoughts i felt were worth posting online. Take what you want from them, but keep your eye open. People watching can be a very good learning experience for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Can't decide if I'm an event or person chaser, hmm...also, I'm a big fan of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete